Back to ChessNonsense

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Moving on to advanced problems

I'm off to a decent start, after finishing my last Initiate problem set last night. It got rather ugly and I'm disheartened by the apparent lack of growth, but having a solid mathematical background, I realize that my program's scoring system will show lack of growth when things are infact OK. My current problem shown above (Advanced 100 #1, Problem #3) has the following tags: [Annotator "T3A"] [Black "Van Wely"] [Date "1993.??.??"] [Event "Bruessel"] [EventDate "1993.??.??"] [FEN "8/8/5rpR/3r4/5P1B/5k1K/7P/8 b - - 0 1"] [PlyCount "7"] [Result "0-1"] [Round "?"] [SetUp "1"] [Site "?"] [White "van der Wiel"] For future reference and whatever else you might want to do with it. It isn't until a few moves deep where it becomes a challenge. This is Black to win, not black to draw (although the position looks quite drawish. I am going to cease my coding work until later. I already have written several reports in my system, including problem detail (most useful after you have finished multiple runs on a problem). I also might release some stuff in CSV format later so that it is possible for the user to build reports and graphs based on their results, but I'll probably do that after I finish my circles. If there are certain items that you want to be included in the report (based on what I am storing) then please feel free to ask. I do not store any time information, unfortunately, although that might be acceptable in a future release. Either way, enjoy, and I'll keep working on finishing these circles up.

2 Comments:

At 2/23/2006 1:09 AM, Blogger Blue Devil Knight said...

Those are some hard problems!

 
At 2/23/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger psalcido said...

Now you see my issue.

The result of this one, for any interested, is:

1... g5 2. fxg5 ( 2. Rxf6 g4# ) ( 2. Bxg5 Rxh6+ 3. Bxh6 Rh5# ) 2... Rxh6 3. gxh6 Rh5 4. h7 Kf4! 5. 0-1

White loses his Bishop, and the game.

I might have a typo or two in there, because I did that from my head.

It's a good problem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home